-
November 9th, 2001, 07:31 AM
#1
Matt Pacini
Guest
O.K., don't everyone send me flowers and congratulations yet!
I'm shall we say... cautiously excited.
It's a small direct to video company, which is fine. That's all I ever hoped for with Lost Tribes anyway. It's not like I thought Universal was going to pick the film up!
They do worldwide distribution, but as some of you know, it's really easy to get into a situation where they lock your film up, distribute it, but you never see any money, because it supposedly never makes a profit.
Sooooo.... I'm doing research on them, to see what kind of track record they have, and I'm using this offer to try to get an agent.
I made a few calls to Agents today (some of who would have nothing to do with me before!), and everyone is interested in talking with me, which is a change!
So it's not GREAT news, but it's not bad news.
We'll see what happens....
Wish me luck!
Matt Pacini
------------------
-
November 9th, 2001, 10:09 AM
#2
Dominic3
Guest
Good luck Matt.
Are you currently working on another movie? If not, what's your next feature going to be?
What percentage do Film Agents charge?
(In the Art world, Agents can claim up to 75%!)
[This message has been edited by Dominic3 (edited November 09, 2001).]
-
November 9th, 2001, 12:45 PM
#3
ulrichsd
Guest
Hey Matt!!! Thats great. Hope it works out for you, you deserve it.
Later all,
I'm leaving for Europe this afternoon and will be away from my computer for 2 and a half weeks.
Scott
------------------
-
November 9th, 2001, 01:18 PM
#4
MovieStuff
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ulrichsd:
Later all,
I'm leaving for Europe this afternoon and will be away from my computer for 2 and a half weeks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My god, man! Don't be a fool! No one can survive that long without access to the internet!
.... Oh, wait a minute...oh, I see. Man, you really had us going there for a moment. "Away from my computer for 2 and a half weeks", Hah. What a kidder. 
Roger
------------------
Roger Evans
MovieStuff
http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html
-
November 9th, 2001, 03:55 PM
#5
chas_ucla
Guest
Best of luck with this company!
Let us know what happens...
this is great news in the S8 world...
------------------
-
November 9th, 2001, 06:48 PM
#6
Scott Spears
Guest
Good luck. If you want to email the name of the company I can poke around with the folks I know and see what I can find out.
Scott
------------------
-
November 9th, 2001, 07:08 PM
#7
Matt Pacini
Guest
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dominic3:
[B]"Good luck Matt. Are you currently working on another movie? If not, what's your next feature going to be?
What percentage do Film Agents charge?
(In the Art world, Agents can claim up to 75%!)
(Matt Pacini responds):
I think agents charge like 10-20%, but hey, I don't have one, so what do I know! Certainly not 75% WOW! Does that come with Vasaline?
I'm not technically working on a movie, in that, I'm not ever shooting another full length feature without backing again! Too hard!
I am however, shooting exerpts from a couple scripts I've written, for two reasons:
1. To use along with the script to get financing.
2. To convince them I am capable of directing the film, as opposed to just selling them the script.
So, we'll see what happens.
I'm trying to get everything perfect, to avoid a lot of the mistakes I made on Lost Tribes, so my preproduction on these shoots is delaying the process!
So it looks like I won't be shooting until late November, and into December, and I may postpone part of it until spring for the second story.
Matt Pacini
------------------
-
November 9th, 2001, 11:09 PM
#8
Dominic3
Guest
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt Pacini:
I think agents charge like 10-20%, but hey, I don't have one, so what do I know! Certainly not 75% WOW! Does that come with Vasaline?"
"Ouch!" ..No Vaseline..... but sometimes they do throw in a bottle of Linseed oil.
Yes, it's true. Some agents/Galleries manage to sqeeze their commission up to 75% if they also promote, print, advertise exhibitions etc., in addition to simply handling the paintings. Though most do charge around 50%. For illustrators, the agent's commission tends to be lower. I don't know about the film business in Hollywood but the Art world here in London is full of what the author Ayn Rand would describe as "secondhanders" (those who live off the ideas and efforts of others).
I avoid agents and currently work by word of mouth and exhibit paintings at large exhibitions like the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition. I make my 8mm movies because I just love to create them, they are not a "career", unlike my paintings.
What a great promotion for super 8 if your deal goes through!
------------------
-
November 12th, 2001, 11:59 PM
#9
Mercutio
Guest
Matt;
I loved Lost Tribes. Lots of fun. In fact, I am showing it to an S8 class that I help teach to show them what can be done with super 8. I am donating my copy to the school library with a note for the Super 8 filmmakers to check it out.
Hope you don't mind.
Mercutio
Oh, its the School of the Museum of Fine Arts (of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston/ Tufts University).
------------------
-
November 13th, 2001, 12:13 AM
#10
Scott Spears
Guest
Regarding agents, in the film biz, agents, by law, can only charge 10%. Now managers are different.
Good luck with distribution.
Scott
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks